Department: Liberal Studies
Office Location: Ryder Hall 216
Office Phone: 518-255-5661
Office Hours: Tues/Thurs, and by appt.
Area of Expertise: Anthropology
Courses Taught: Full Range of Courses in Anthropology; Western Civilization Survey
About Me: Research Interests in the Origin of the State; Archaeological Theory; Mesoamerica, Mesopotamia; Egypt; Evolution of Early Cultural Complexity; Early Agriculture, particularly hydraulic applications.
Owner, with Dr. Marsha Descartes, and Operator of Beaver Dam Farms, Berne, NY, a Registered Polled Hereford operation since 1977.
Curriculum Vitae: Resume with full information on employment experience, symposium, research experience , grants, additional publications, available on demand.
- 1981 The New School for Social Research, Ph.D. Anthropology
Dissertation: “Karl Wittfogel and the Nomothetic Revival in Anthropology”.
Committee: Michael J. Harner, Chair; Stanley Diamond; Rayna Rapp
- 1972 University at Albany, M.A. Anthropology
- 1970 University of Buffalo, B.A. Anthropology
- Minors: Classics; European History
- 1998 University at Albany, M.A. History
- 1991 University at Albany M.L.S.
- 2011 – present : University of Manchester, UK Program in Egyptology
- Dansville Central High School, Dansville, NY
- FFA 1957-1961
- Star Farmer Award 1961
- Livingston County Public Speaking Champion 1961
- St. Anne’s Academy, Manhattan, NY
- 2006 “Agriculture and Animal Husbandry in Ancient Greece” in Ancient Greece, T.L. Sienkewicz, ed., Pasadena.
- 2005 “England’s Agricultural Revolution”, in The Seventeenth Century, L.J. Taylor, Pasadena.
- 2005 ” Reign of Montezuma II, 1502-1520″ in ,The Renaissance and Early Modern Era, C.J. Moose, ed, Pasadena.
- 2004 “Ubaid Culture Flourishes in Mesopotamia”, in The Ancient World, Mark W. Chavalas, ed. Pasadena.
- 2004 “Halafian People in Northern Mesopotamia” in Great Event from History: The Ancient World, Pasadena.
- 2004 “Hohokam Adapt to the Desert Southwest”, in The Middle Ages, Brian A. Pavlac, ed. , Pasadena
- 2002 “Agricultural and Animal Husbandry” in Encyclopedia of the Ancient World, Vol. 1, Pasadena.
- 2002 “Fertile Crescent” in Encyclopedia of the Ancient World, Vol. 2, Pasadena.
- 2002 “Natufian Culture”, in Encyclopedia of the Ancient World, Vol. 2, Pasadena.
- 1974 “The Cabot Site: A Ceramic Period Occupation, North Haven Island, Maine”, Maine Archaeological Society Bulletin 14 (2).
Research and Grants: Listed on Resume, available on demand.