Pamela C. Colony

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERATitle: Professor/Director of Histotechnology
Department: Natural Sciences and Mathematics
E-mail: colonyp@cobleskill.edu
Office Location: Wheeler Hall 115
Office Phone: 518-255-5417 

Areas of Expertise: Histotechnology

About Pam: 

I started my academic career at Wellesley College where I received a BA with a major in Biology.  I received my Ph.D. in Anatomy from Boston University and I completed my post-doctoral work at Harvard Medical School.  My professional career started as a research assistant and I progressed up the ranks of research to Principle Investigator.  Over the years my research has been supported by multiple granting agencies including the National Institutes of Health (NIH), the National Foundation for Ileitis and Colitis and the Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst for research in Germany.   While still active in research I regularly reviewed manuscripts for peer reviewed journals and I served as a primary reviewer for program projects at both NIH and the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and as an independent assessor for the National Health and Medical Research Council of the Commonwealth of Australia.  I have published over 50 articles in peer reviewed journals and book chapters.  My research has always focused on the gastrointestinal tract in development and disease.

Though research has always fascinated and challenged me, my ultimate goal has always been to teach and to share the world of science with others.  Over my 37 years of teaching I have held many positions ranging from adjunct faculty to full professor and I have taught in a variety of schools including Harvard and PA State Medical Schools, Franklin and Marshall College, Harrisburg area Community College and, most recently, at SUNY Cobleskill.  My teaching has focused primarily on courses in Histology, Histotechnology, Anatomy and Physiology.  Since coming to SUNY Cobleskill in 1995 I have served as the Program Director of Histotechnology.  In the teaching arena, the highlight of my teaching career was receipt of the Chancellor’s award for excellence in teaching, while in the professional arena it was the receipt of the State awarded Dominique Europa award  for my contributions to the field of Histotechnology.

I have given presentations at the local, State, National and International levels.  I have also been a member of a wide variety of professional organizations and am currently a member of Epsilon Pi Tau, the American Society for Clinical Pathology, the National Society for Histotechnology where I am a member of the education committee, and the New York State Histotechnological Society where I serve as a member of the Board of Directors and as a member of the editorial staff for their publication “Onstage”.