Department: Business & Information Technology / Environmental Science and Technology Center (multidisciplinary program)
Office Location: Warner Hall 215
Office Phone: 518-255-5384
Additional Title: Principal Investigator Bioenergy Gasifier Project more information >
Areas of Expertise: Information Technology: Computer Applications and Web Development, Informatics. Environmental & Energy Technology: Environment and Chemical Engineering, Alternative Energy Systems
Courses Taught: Information Technology: Introduction to Programming, Visual Programming, Advanced Java, Web Publication II, Web Programming. Environmental & Energy Technology: Unit Operations & Unit Processes, Pollution Prevention & Remediation
Paul A. Amodeo has been an engineering and information technology consultant since 1985. He was awarded a Ph.D. in Environmental Engineering from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute with a specialty in Mathematical Modeling. He served on the RPI faculty for six years as an adjunct assistant professor with teaching responsibilities for graduate level courses in Hazardous Waste Management and Mathematical Modeling. Paul has also taught a number of undergraduate courses and extension seminars in computers and microcomputers for Albany Business College (now Bryant Stratton) and Union College. In addition, he has taught certification courses for Windows Servers for a local commercial training provider.
In the Information Technology area, Dr. Amodeo’s consulting practice has provided contract support services in the areas of Informatics, Software Applications Development, Web Application Development, Network Design and Administration, Systems Design, and Research Support. He has authored several computer simulation models and database management programs for both the private and public sector and was the lead developer on two commercial applications projects.
Dr. Amodeo’s Engineering Support Consulting has been in areas of environmental quality and regulatory compliance. This was prefaced by nine years as an environmental engineer for a facilities support operation for a large industrial park complex consisting of businesses involved in such diverse activities as metal finishing, machinery manufacture and chemical production. Consulting and employment experiences have included design of processes and controls for industrial wastewater discharges, water quality assessments, groundwater assessments, landfill operations and assessments, hydrologic evaluations, and regulatory compliance management. Additional responsibilities included management of Engineering and Regulatory Compliance Groups and Sales and Marketing. In addition, Paul has two years of construction management experience with the US Army Corps of Engineers and has conducted several ecological assessment projects.
In addition to his teaching responsibilities at SUNY Cobleskill, Dr. Amodeo currently serves as the Principal Investigator for the Bioenergy Gasifier Alternative Energy Project funded under grants from DoE and DoD. The project has resulted in the development of the Inclined Indirect Flaming Rotary Pyrolytsis Gasifier (IIFRPG) capable of converting Cafeteria, Agricultural and Municipal Solid Waste into electricity.
Professional Organizations: Air and Waste Management Association (AWMA)
LinkedIn URL: http://www.paulamodeo.com
- Ph.D., Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY, Environmental Engineering 1988
- M.S., Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY, Environmental Engineering 1976
- B.S., Siena College, Loudonville, NY, Biology 1971
- EntertainUSA.com, LLC 125 Wolf Road, Albany, NY 12205. Position: Partner/CTO/Web Programming and Development.
- Environmental Software Corporation. 5882 Bolsa Ave, Suite 100, Huntington Beach, Ca. 92649. Position: Senior Software Engineer/Informatics Software Consultant.
- McLaren/Hart Environmental Engineering Corporation. 28 Madison Avenue Extension. Albany, New York. Positions: Supervising Engineer/Lead Programmer for Strategic Environmental Systems, Manager, Engineering and Regulatory Compliance Management.
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. Department of Environmental Engineering. Troy, New York. Professor: Adjunct Assistant Professor (Graduate Program)
- Smith & Mahoney, P.C. 540 Broadway. Albany, New York. Position: Senior Environmental Engineer / Industrial Marketing
- General Electric Company. Main Plant. 1 River Road, Schenectady, New York. Position: Environmental Engineer
- Alternative Energy Derived from Agricultural and Cafeteria Wastes using a Rotary Kiln Gasifier. ASABE 2009 Bioenergy Engineering Conference, October 11-14, 2009
- Coagulation and Precipitation. In: Operation of Wastewater Treatment Plants, Vol. 3. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Office of Water Programs, 1980. Revised 1994.
- A river nutrient-processing model for point source inputs Ph.D. Thesis. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, New York. May 1988.
- Calcium sulfide process for treatment of metal containing waste, with B.M. Kim. Environmental Progress, AIChE, 2(3):175-180. August, 1983.
Application of the calcium sulfide process to the treatment of wastes from a wire manufacturing plant with B.M. Kim, General Electric Co. TIS Report No. 81CRD305, December 1981. Presented AIChE Conference, Cleveland, Ohio, September 1982.
- Relationship between particulate organic carbon-14 and dissolved organic carbon-14 in incubation bottles during the course of C-14 productivity assays. Annual Conference of the American Society of Limnology and Oceanography, June 1976.
- Evaluation of a short-term incubator for use in carbon-4 productivity studies. Master’s Thesis. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. December 1976.
Patent Docket No. 17DV-2951. Process and apparatus for treating wastewater containing fat and heavy metal ions using CaS, with B.M. Kim